This challenge has been completed!
Thanks to all the participants, the whole challenge has been a success:
- The publication is now online on the websites of swissnex San Francisco and foraus - check it out!
- All ideas have been submitted to the Swiss federal working group on AI.
- The challenge lead to a new collaboration between foraus, swissnex, AI commons and the Open Think Tank Network. The first global policy kitchen challenge will take place in May 2019, with workshops in 10 cities across the planet and culminating in the AI for Good Global Summit in Geneva. Check it out.
- Last but not least, the challenge has already sparked an idea draft for a policy paper on «International Panel on AI – Institutional Options for the Global Governance of AI». If you’re interested in contributing to this policy paper or if you want to elaborate on another idea, let us know!
Simultaneously regarded as the 21st century’s biggest hope and most dire threat coming from the tech world, artificial intelligence has sparked considerable policy debates in governments, international organizations, and various other fora. In the past two years, more than 20 countries have released or announced national AI strategies, with priorities ranging from science and education to ethics and regulation. Yet to this day, Switzerland has not delivered a comprehensive and coordinated response to AI policy, other than announcing the creation of a working group on the topic within the federal administration.
To complement this effort, swissnex San Francisco and the Swiss foreign policy think tank foraus have launched an open dialogue on Switzerland’s position on AI with respect to the rest of the world. Participants of the challenge have elaborated answers to the following question:
How would you make Switzerland fit for the opportunities and challenges of AI? What elements should a Swiss AI strategy contain?
Ideas were generated online and at three workshops:
- 27 Nov 2018, Impact Hub Zurich, with Daniel Egloff (SERI), head of the federal working group on AI
- 30 Nov 2018, swissnex San Francisco
- 22 Mar 2018, Start Summit St. Gallen with Microsoft
For further information on Policy Kitchen click here.
This project is supported by Engagement Migros.